Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Riding the Hill Country

This past weekend I joined my husband on a weekend Harley ride with a group of friends. Our riding group goes to the Hill Country usually every spring.  This ride was a special ride though because our mechanic Tony,who has serviced all our bikes for years was coming along. He drives the most gorgeous Indian bike.  Tony has Stage 4 cancer and stopped taking Chemo a few weeks ago. This will most likely be his last large ride far distance.   There was a larger group that left early Friday morning but Todd had a Dr’s appointment that we couldn’t reschedule and he had a friend that was flying in from Atlanta and renting a bike so we told the group that we would catch up with them later that evening.  I dropped off the dogs at their overnight doggy daycare and then as soon as I got home, we jumped on the bike and rode to Dallas for the Dr appt.  Afterwards, we ate breakfast at the clinic cafeteria which was actually really good.  Todd’s friend Chris was landing at the airport soon and then took an Uber over to the Bike rental place. That’s where we met up with him.   From there, we rode over to our friend Coby’s house where he was joining us.  We got a really late start because Coby wasn’t ready. He never is and its so frustrating!! He had Rangers tickets for that weekend so he wanted to go to the box office and exchange them for another week and game. Fortunately the stadiums were very close to where he lived. While he was in line and we were parked, he discovered he left his phone at home.  So then Todd got in line for him while he drove him to get his phone and back.  That took close to an hour to get all that done.   Finally we were on our way to Hill Country.
We rode a few hours and then stopped for lunch around 2:00 in a town called Hico.   While we were waiting on our meal, my stepmom Deb called and said that Daddy’s other best friend Doc had passed away that morning.  I was so shocked and sad!  One of the first things that I thought was WOW, Daddy has his 2 very best friends with him now.  I know I posted about his friend Billy who passed suddenly last July.  Doc had been sick with a blood disease and had not been feeling well lately.  I know he suffered from pain at times.  The funeral is today in Austin but I am not there because I’ve taken too much time off work as it is. 
We arrived at our motel in Kerrville around 6:30 pm that night.  All together we rode around 300 miles that day and of course it was all back roads.  We dropped off our bags and got checked into our room and then got back on the back to meet our other group for dinner.  We met at a Mexican restaurant that had an hour wait. Funny, our friends saved us seats but then another group that happened to know our friends , saw them and sat in our chairs and they didn’t have the heart to tell them to leave.  SOOOO, we had to sit in the bar and have a drink while a table came open. Once we were seated, our friends in big group were leaving. HAHA!  We were late for everything that day.  Oh well!
Saturday morning, all of us ( I think there were 10 bikes total) started our first part of the day together.  There is a route to take that covers stretches of 3 different highways called The Three Sisters.  They’re very narrow and winding  and twisty twirly rodes and some steep uphill and downhill climbs.   They’re so fun and obviously a great riding destination . In fact there were lots of riding clubs not just bikes. We saw a group of Porsches and Corvettes riding the roads too.    There is a bar and grill in the middle where all the highways meet and we stopped there to have a snack and a drink.  We rode 2 of the sisters before we stopped.  Much of the group wanted to go to some other bars that were along the way but my group wanted to ride the last sister to just be able to say that we did.  Hindsight, the last highway was the worst and really not worth the effort but Hey we know now!  Another guy in the group wanted to ride with us so now we had 4 bikes in our group- Todd, Chris, Coby and now Bryan.   So the 5 of us turned right on the last highway while the rest of the group went their way.   After we finished the last highway we all agreed that we wanted to go to Luckenbach and hang out there for a while. I have been a few times but never with Todd.  They have live music and its just so relaxed and fun atmosphere. It was also 90 minutes in opposite direction but we wanted to keep riding.  We actually came across another part of a highway that was just as fun and winding and twisty as the 3 sisters. I said it must be the ugly stepsister because it was better than the last one.  Along the way, Bryan needed to air up his back tire and as we were wrapping up , Todd realized that our front tire was low  so we aired up too. I think we ended up being at that stop for almost 45 minutes.   Then Bryan realized his back light bulb was out so we had to stop at auto store and he changed that out in the parking lot.  THEN we started our ride to Luckenbach.  Our plan was to go there , have a quick drink and then catch up with our group again and have dinner together. Nope. Once again, we are so behind and we told our group we couldn’t make it to dinner.  When we got to Luckenbach, there was a wedding going on there.  There was one guy that didn’t tell us to leave but said he wasn’t sure how much longer we could stay because the family bought out the whole place for the night.  I bought a tshirt and we all stayed for one beer and then rode into Fredericksburg for dinner.  Fredericksburg will be its own post soon. Its one of my favorite places!! So much history and cute little shops. It’s a German town so we ate at yummy place and had pork schnitzel.    It was close to 9 pm I think before we headed back to hotel which took a little shy of 2 hours.   Sadly we didn’t get to see the rest of our group again that night.  We had to get back to Dallas pretty quickly because Chris still had to return the bike and uber to the airport to catch his plane.  We left at 7:30 am ( Coby, Chris, and Todd and i) and the other crew weren’t leaving until 9:30.   We got to see a few of the them when we were having breakfast in lobby so we got to say goodbye.

This is Wesley , Tony and Todd. Wesley and Todd are wearing Traditions tshirts which was Tony's shop. He closed it 2 weeks ago. 
Bobbie, me and Sherry
Coby, Chris, me

It was so much fun and I am really glad I went.   Friday night I was hurting pretty bad and regretting my decision because of all the squishing and big bumps and such. I felt bruised and im still a little swollen from surgery 2 weeks ago.  I was SUPPOSED to be a vendor at my junk show I do every 6 months but I’m not supposed lift anything heavy and I do that all weekend when I have my show.  It was nice to ride with Todd and spend time on the bike with our friends.  No regrets!  Life is short and you got to get out of the house.    I’ll post later on some of the things and places I saw along the way.  

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was awesome Mike!! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Holli!

    I thoroughly enjoyed riding along with you and your pack of friends as you explored Texas Hill Country. I looked up all the towns you mentioned, and I needed to do some Googling and Wiki-ing to understand exactly where in the state of Texas you guys traveled. From what I learned on Wiki, Texas Hill Country encompasses "a 25-county region of Central Texas and South Texas featuring karst topography and tall rugged hills consisting of thin layers of soil atop limestone or granite." Then I needed to look up "karst topography." Wiki defines it as "a landscape formed from the dissolution of soluble rocks such as limestone, dolomite, and gypsum. It is characterized by underground drainage systems with sinkholes and caves." How interesting, Holli! You rode through some remote, rugged and scenic areas, a real adventure, and even though you were constantly running late and out of sync with the main group of bikers, you did it your way, at your own pace, and most importantly you had fun. That's the only way to live. I am sorry to learn about Tony and your dad's best friend Doc - all the more reason for you to get out the door and do it now, live now, live your life to the fullest, because tomorrow is not guaranteed.

    You are a great storyteller, Holli, and I truly enjoyed reading about this bike trip that you and Todd took. Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hill country has a whole different topography for sure. Lots more rocks and cliffs, etc. Lots of old buildings and homes are made with large stones which i love! We rode roughly around 300 miles a day on the trip and it was awesome! Definitely felt a some of the big bumps though.
      I'm glad i went along. I love it down there and i want to go back soon in my truck so i can shop . LOL

      Delete
  3. Sounds all very enjoyable, though I can imagine being rather saddle sore after 300 miles astraddle a bike. You look precious with you braid!
    Perspectives at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks for the sweet compliment! I have serious rats nest and cant get a comb through my hair if i dont braid it. We rode about 300 miles a day and my butt was definitely happy when i got home.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a good time. I can't stand when people make me late!!! You are such a good person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really- Todd is the patient one. It drove me nuts but at the end of the day- what can you do? Just got to not let it ruin the day and enjoy what was going on. I dont think i'll go on more long rides with the troublemaker though!

      Delete
  5. Man all that missing this and that woulda drove me nuts! But then, not being a rider, I'm not as hip to the fun of the journey. Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todd is much more patient than i am. Coby and i fight like brother and sister so he definitely knew my frustration- he just didnt care.
      It was still a good time though!

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a trip! I enjoyed seeing all of your photos and following along on Facebook. Sorry to hear about your dad's friend passing away. I will keep Tony in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry about the loss and sadness, though you look like an adorably tough biker chick.
    Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!